Expats & a Ruhetag

Today I went back to the 'Spirit Yoga' studio to try a new teacher and keep myself moving. Another win! I met a fellow American mom-to-be, married to a German.  She's a PhD student, as is her husband, studying something about European Integration...Must ask more. It felt great to talk about where we are from IN ENGLISH! :) We got along fabulously and briefly wandered about town after class sharing our backgrounds and experiences. Glad if I have made a new friend.

Yesterday, Sunday, all the shops are closed. It's a "Ruhetag" or quiet day, meant to be spent with family. Since the streets were less hectic than usual, I took the opportunity to drive the car, with H as my guide naturally. We ended up at a neighborhood fleamarket or "Flohmarkt", then a well-attended park, followed by ice cream. Driving here is intense as the rules and signage are distinct from the US and California, so I'm studying up while I have my International License.  Also the streets can be narrow, or cobblestoned, there are many bikes as I mentioned, and drivers move quickly. It requires full attention and plenty of caution. I plan to mostly use the subway and walk, but don't want to be forever afraid to drive here either...

The last picture is a roll-up door of a "Knilchbar" which is a play on words: "Milchbar" or Milk bar where people typically drink coffee, milk-based drinks, ice cream plus "Knilch" which according to my mother-in-law is Berlin slang for a strange or unpleasant person! But according to my husband it means a little kid. Anyways, the name and the artwork reflect the quirky personality of the 'hood there. :)






Comments

  1. I've found the comment function. Just like to comment on your profile picture of you outstanding in your field. Like mother, like daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your blog, E! Living vicariously through you and your fun German adventures :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts