Museums and cross-blogging

Happy spring from Berlin, dear readers...


Today I am cross-blogging! I recently had the opportunity to write an art review about a fascinating exhibit in a Berlin museum. My review was for the blog presence of Kunstpedia, a non-profit arts organization based in the Netherlands. I had the chance to meet with a curator at Berlin's Bode Museum and explore art that was lost or damaged just after WWII. If you haven't had a chance to read it, here is my opinion piece:

http://www.artwis.com/opinion/bode-museums-the-lost-museum-the-berlin-sculpture-and-paintings-collections-70-years-after-world-war-ii/

Since then, I decided to pop into another of Berlin's museum gems: the Gemaldegalerie.



I was amazed by what I saw. Despite what I had recently learned about the devastating cultural art losses in Berlin, here I discovered more than 40 rooms of world class master paintings from the 13th to 18th century, including Titian, Vermeer, Rubens, Botticelli, Cranach- Dutch, German and Italian masters...I'm planning to go back for a more organized, focused visit. One thought I have is to do a visual essay on halos; I saw such an assortment across the paintings: from round discs to spiky crowns, to sparkling delicate accessories.

Here are some images from today, just random bits of an incredible collection. Please note these are totally unattributed by me but well documented by the museum. I just happily snapped things that caught my attention... Entry was free with my year-round multi-museum membership card, and all permissible to photograph without flash. Awesome.

Tons of gilded everything...Heavy emphasis on Mary and baby Jesus, Jesus later in life, various saints, a sprinkling of biblical stories, and some prerequisite beheadings/spearings/crucifixions and such. You know the drill! :)



Woman with a tiny feline creature...So precious.




 Some sort of special deal being worked out?




Oh, I know sister.


 You can get a glimpse of the ceiling art through this interior window.




I enjoyed these tender groupings of family members:





The rooms were very stately; I felt that the large and magnificent paintings could coexist nicely together. Despite their varied countries of origin (mostly Italy, Germany, Holland) and different centuries, they breathed the same fine gallery air.





Saw two breath-taking VERMEERS. Hello, there are only about 36 authenticated Vermeers across the world in collections. Why was there not a crowd here??




This last couple of rooms before my cell phone died were very striking...Here's a Cranach piece with tiny bees...


And a rare piece with a three-dimensional element. Any art history buffs, feel free to inform me of the proper term for this, please.



 Until next time! Yours truly, E














Comments

Popular Posts